Wednesday 28 September 2011

because everything should taste like bacon...

My Mom brought me this little beauty from South Africa.


 Everyone who knows me knows that I simply cannot turn down a piece of Bacon. Especially the crispy grilled smokey rasher kind.
My kids are the same.
So my mom thought this would be a good way to get them to enjoy their veggies. Sadly, I raised a pair of savvy kids.

Said my 6yr old " Sure, this is just carrot and potato with fancy salt on it. Its just not bacon".

Anyway, I made this for a Sunday lunch this weekend. Easiest meal I have made in a while. Love that you just shove it all into one pan/pot/dish, shove it in the oven for 2 hrs and bask in the praise that is heaped on you...

spices/seasoning
Easy peasy to do... defrost chicken.
Peel 1 carrot per person and chop into "finger-thick" rounds.
Peel 2 potatoes per adult (1.5 per kid)
Chop one large onion roughly
Cut one house of garlic in half (yes one of those big ones before you mash it into bits cut it right across the middle of all the little bulbs).


 Bung it all in a roasting tin.

bish....











Place the chicken lovingly on top.

bash...... (forgot to take a pic of the bosh)











Chuck in two bay leaves.
Pour in 80mls of water.
Salt the chicken liberally, the veg not so much. Pepper to taste. 
And if you've got it.... lash on the "low Sodium Bacon Salt". Yep I said LASH!

Put the lid on or cover with foil and put it in the oven for 2hrs @gas mark 4/180degCelcius. 
Then uncover, turn up the heat and let the skin crisp up for 20 - 30 minutes.

     xxxxoooOOO0000OOOoooxxx


Ah well. I made this dish, took all the prep photos and then like a dunce, let Hubby carve, plated up, said grace and all tucked in to a delish meal. When I was collecting plates to take to the sink... I looked over to the carcass and thought... "dammit! I forgot to take pics of the finished product!"

So imagine, if you will, a perfectly cooked chicken, with meat so soft it almost fell off the bone, skin crispy and salty (as a great roast chicken should have) and perfectly cooked veggies, so tasty-looking that my kids ate them without complaining...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...